Wednesday 24 December 2014

Bei Otto, Chaweng, German restaurant

A couple of months ago, Bei Otto, a well renowned German restaurant and delicatessen shop based in Bangkok, opened it's doors on Samui. The Bangkok main hq has been visited by us a few times, so I was looking forward to enjoy the Samui variation.

Bei Otto Samui, exterior

Exterior

A few weeks ago I had lunch there with some friends and I had the 'Herzhafte Käsespätzle mit Röstzwiebel' or Cheese spätzle with roasted onions. It was very good and delicious but a rather small portion. This can be found on their vegetarian menu. Yes, things change, back in the 8-tees, when I lived in Germany, there was no such thing as a vegetarian menu in the local restaurants. The 21st century made German restaurants catch up, I guess.

Bei Otto Samui, Ottos wurstplatte

Ottos wurstplatte

It's mostly meat though at Bei Otto and some fish options as well. A few days ago my wife and myself had lunch and I went for the above pictured 'Ottos Wustplatte', or assorted homemade grilled German sausages with sauerkraut and mashed potatoes.
My wife had this once in Bangkok and now it was my turn. The sausages were delicious, but the sauerkraut slightly tasteless, not 'sauer' enough and the mashed potatoes very thin. The sausages did hold the plate together though and with the added mustard, it went down very well.
I also ordered tea, next time I hope to receive a full pot of hot water and not just have a pot or barely one cup, it's the tea bag that's expensive, not the hot water I take it.

Bei Otto Samui, Salatschüssel nach “Art des Hauses”

Salatschüssel nach “Art des Hauses”

My wife opted for the above pictured Salatschüssel nach “Art des Hauses” or a mixed green salad with marinated shrimps, mussels, tuna fish and octopus on house dressing and garlic bead. The salad was really good with a delicious dressing.

Bei Otto Samui, delicatessen shop

Part of the delicatessen shop

In Bangkok, the delicatessen shop is big and has an extensive of goodies on offer. On Samui this is understandably smaller, especially the bread section was too small I found, but then again, I wouldn't whiz over on a regular base to buy their outstanding bread.
A nice selection of meat and sausages, cakes and German chocolates are on display as well as some other assorted delicatessen.

It's located opposite the Starbucks in Central Festival, a location where I used to work for about 6 or 7 years, when a dive center was located there.
There's aground floor restaurant but upstairs is also a very nice seating arrangement, which I can recommend.
The staff was very friendly and accommodating.

Well worth a visit with good food but it doesn't come cheap. I hope that Sascha, the manager will be successful, since it adds another international food option to the island.

Don't forget to use my Camille's Samui hotel recommendation blog and my Camille's Thailand hotel recommendation blog for all your hotel bookings on Koh Samui and around Thailand. By doing so, you will support my blog. Thanks folks! 

Camille

No comments: