Sunday 9 June 2013

The Laguna Phuket half marathon, race day

This morning it was an early wake up call at 4am, and after a shave and breakfast, it was off to the Phuket Laguna complex of hotels for the 8th Laguna Phuket marathon, where I was running the half marathon for the third consecutive year. See my post from last year.

Start of the Laguna Phuket half marathon

A few moments before the start of the Laguna Phuket half marathon this morning

There seemed to be a lot more runners this year compared to last year, it seemed very busy and the weather was holding out nicely. Rain was predicted but we only experienced a bit of a drizzle on the way over the to the start, but the best was in the tail, yet to come.

Laguna Phuket Marathon start and finish line, yesterday

Laguna Phuket Marathon start and finish line, yesterday

When I finished the race, during the last 500 m meter, it just poured down for a few minutes, maybe 10 minutes or do. It was actually nice and cooled me down nicely. The rest of the race saw surprisingly nice weather conditions, plenty of sunshine in a partially cloudy sky.

Laguna Phuket Half Marathon BIB and finishers medal

Laguna Phuket Half Marathon, my BIB (rave number) and finishers medal

Although I didn't run a personal best time during this race, I still ran my second best time ever on a half marathon, which made me a very happy runner, considering the circumstances. The last couple of weeks I was dealing with an Achilles tendon injury, which kind of messed around with my training and preparation schedule. I had to take much more rest than I was hoping for, but in the end it all worked out fine! My finishing time was 2:01'16.3 and I finished as 25th out of 97 in my age category and 183rd all over out of 711!

A great race, well organized and I hope to be able to participate again next year!

Don't forget to use my Camille's Samui hotel recommendation blog and my Camille's Thailand hotel recommendation blog for all your hotel bookings on Koh Samui and around Thailand. By doing so, you will support my blog. Thanks folks!

Camille

2 comments:

Dallemand said...

Hi, thanks for the read. Im going to try my first race here in Thailand. And its the Laguna phuket international marathon. Im hoping that the race will be great and the weather not to hot. A bit rain would be nice.
Best regards,
Dallemand

Camille said...

Hi Dallemand, It's not too hot but the humidity is tremendous and that's what is causing the problems.
The start will be very early, the first part of the race is run ion the dark but once it starts to become clear is when the humidity becomes a problem.

Enjoy your run though!