Sunday 2 September 2012

Samui Hill Challenge, Chaweng Noi

Today it finally was race day, after a long count down! Start and finish was near the Panyadee school in Chaweng noi and there was a good turn out, I would say around 200 runners.
My whole family was up early to make it for the Challenge!


Going up in the beginning, most are still running

After a short descent, it immediately went up after a very sharp curve. I decided not to run the 6km race, since I injured myself during a training run on this route and since I only have 3 weeks to get in shape for the Samui half marathon, come 23rd September, I thought it safer to run/walk with my son the 2km distance. 


Start and finish in front of the Panyadee school

For most runners it must have been a first, to run uphill and I'm fairly sure that most were surprised how steep it actually was and a lot of the 6km runners will have some sour muscles to look after next week!


Running has merely stopped in lieu of walking halfway the 2km run

It was a fun event and it was good to see the Samui runners together. The atmosphere was good and the event was well organized, there were plenty of (motivational) signs and every 250 meters a Rescue volunteer was placed to deal with any kind of injuries and/or emergencies abut as far as I know, that was not needed. Thanks to the Samui Rescue volunteers!


The trophies for the 4 categories

The 6km run was won by a Kenyan runner in just over 20 minutes, followed by two Thai runners. Well done guys, that was hard work!
After the finish line there was a very nice breakfast at offer with healthy food, look home made granola bars, wheat croissants, fruit and healthy smoothies. I must say that I enjoyed that breakfast thoroughly!


Michael and myself before the start

The challenge as organized by Michael, general manager of the New Star Beach resort in Chaweng Noi and also the man behind the Samui Runners Club.

A good event and i hope we see more running events on the island. Thanks to Michael and all the time and energy he put into organizing this challenge!

Don't forget to use my Camille's Samui hotel recommendation blog and my Camille's Thailand hotel recommendation blog for all your hotel bookings on Koh Samui and around Thailand. By doing so, you will support my blog. Thanks folks!

Camille

No comments: