Sunday 23 September 2012

Princess' Cup, Samui Island Marathon; race day

This morning saw an early wake up call. 3am the alarm was set, so we could leave at 4am for Nathon where at 5am the start for this years half marathon was scheduled as part of the Princess' Cup Samui island marathon.
We arrived just in time to see the start of the marathon and both groups of runners in each of these two categories seemed smaller compared to last year.

3rd Edition of Princess' Cup Samui Island Marathon 2012

The stage is set

Just after the start of the marathon, the announcer mentioned that instead of 5am the half marathon now would start at 4.45, if all runner could please report to the start line. Thanks, warming up down the drain and of course the start was still at 5am, so a nerve wrecking 15 minutes was spend at the start line for no reason at all.

Princess' Cup Samui Island Marathon 2012

Sticking out at the start line

Straight after the start signals I felt my legs not giving the service I was hoping for and it became a very hard run for me rather quickly. Especially the turning point was located at a hill, so up we went, hoping to turn at the top but unfortunately the turning point was at the bottom, so up we went again. A few not so nice thoughts were happily send to the organizers at this stage. My legs were burning as well by now!
In the end I finished as 133rd out of 239 and came 12th in my age group.

Princess' Cup Samui Island Marathon 2012

Glad it is all over, with the kids!

After the race I was drained, my time was 2 hours 2 minutes and 3 seconds, my 2nd best time on a a half marathon yet but I was really hoping for a time under two hours. Alas, it was not to be today, the last kilometer was not pretty at all and all my energy was spent! It took me a while after I finished to get myself sorted again and I never had such a muscle pain as after this race.

Princess' Cup Samui Island Marathon 2012

Another shirt and medal for the trophy cabinet

Nonetheless, I'm looking forward to the next run, although I'm not sure when and where that will be. The next one I would like to run is the Koh Phangan quarter marathon, next weekend, but it proofs rather difficult to find accommodation in Thong Sala, due it being Full Moon, all guesthouses and hotels only take bookings for at least 3 nights.

Don't forget to use my Camille's Samui hotel recommendation blog and my Camille's Thailand hotel recommendation blog for all your hotel bookings on Koh Samui and around Thailand. By doing so, you will support my blog. Thanks folks!

Camille

No comments: