Tuesday 25 September 2012

Food on Wheels; Chow Kuay

It's time for the monthly 'Food on Wheels' series update, the 40th addition already.

This time it's about a something I saw at the market in Lamai, near Tesco Lotus. Around the corner is one of my fave eateries in Lamai, this Khao Man Gai place.


Front view

Besides the by now typical three wheel motorbike, where a side car is attached to the bike, something is being sold that is not seen that often, which made it interesting to me, black jelly or chow kuay (เฉาก๊วย)


Preparing the add-ons

The add-ons are very simple, a bit of syrup and crushed ice. You mix all together and you're ready to go.


The black jelly, left how it is cooked and carried around by the sales person, on the left in the bag for the customer

Apparently it helps to cool down a hot stomach, according to my wife. It's the first time I've seen this black jelly for sale in almost 14 years!


Side/back view

There you go, Thailand just never ceases to amaze me and come up with new things. Keep your eyes open at market places and for the small bikes and carts that sell food, a lot of times there's some interesting food to be had and it's always worthwhile trying it out, since it won't break the bank, even if you don't like it. Most of such meals and/or snacks are in the 20 to 30 Baht range.

Don't forget to use my Camille's Samui hotel recommendation blog and my Camille's Thailand hotel recommendation blog for all your hotel bookings on Koh Samui and around Thailand. By doing so, you will support my blog. Thanks folks!

Camille

No comments: