Monday 9 January 2012

Chinese building in Chaweng

Chinese building in Chaweng

This building is located near the end of the runway of Samui airport, near Chaweng, on a corner on the small but busy road that connects Chaweng now to the departure area of the airport.

I have been reporting about plenty of Chinese temples, one in Chaweng at the Laemdin market area, one in Maenam, one in Hua Thanon and one in Surat Thani city.

The front of the building

Initially I wrongly thought that this is a Chinese Temple, but my wife had to correct me and she explained to me that this is a building merely to 'look good or beautiful' in which merely is a Chinese graveyard.

A structure on the premises, as also shown on my daily weather update today

It's a privately build project which in my understanding belongs to one single Chinese/Thai family. It took about a year to build the whole structure. Before there were only the three graves as shown below.

The three current graves at the 'estate'

A frontal picture of one of the graves, this can be found all around the country in similar styles

A view of the roof ornaments

Chinese temples and religious building always have a very colorful look, very distinct and also very different to the Thai style temples. An interesting building in my opinion and well worth a quick visit if you're in that part of town. By the way, the building is not open to public.

Camille

No comments: