Thursday 27 October 2011

Koh Samui, Thailand daily weather update; 27th October, 2011

Today's weather;

The sky over our lovely island is grayish but there are some spots that might open up and let the sun through. Current temp at 7am is 24.9C and there's rain predicted during the remainder of the day.

Koh Samui is still fine overall and we're absolutely not having any floods whatsoever, a a matter of facts, the whole South of Thailand is not affected by water. The only thing that we're dealing with is indirect problems like consumer goods delivery but event hat is bearable and under control for the time being.
The forecast at Windguru for the next 7 days is still looking good with a couple of dry and sunny days to be expected.

If you're planning to come down to Koh Samui, have a look at my Samui hotel recommendation blog, by booking on this site by using the Agoda or Hotels Combined buttons you help me indirectly maintaining my blog. There are also my beloved beer buttons around the blog and a donation button can be found on the top left of this blog, in case you find my blog helpful.

Bang Rak bay last week

Yesterday morning saw some heavy rain for a while around Samui but well before noon it stopped and during the late afternoon a bleak sun popped up again and the cloud cover broke. Max temp reached 28.7C

My current PADI IDC on Koh Samui also kicked off yesterday, stay tuned for more updates onmy dive blog.

Creative thinking during the floods

On to Bangkok and the floods, a big wave is supposed the town today and some (international) experts the city to be under one meter of water in the worst case scenario. There's a mass exodus going on from city folks to Hua Hin and Pattaya.
One of the things not being really reported is the massive amount of theft and burglary at deserted estates, houses and cars parked on higher grounds.

In the meantime the Office of the Auditor General has found government agencies' efforts to manage water in the country's 25 river basins lacked unified direction. A good article with another sad story that reeks of corruption being at the root of the problem.
There are however Legal and Regulatory considerations for flood-affected businesses being put in place and some of the red tape will be cut to help recovery.

A good friend of mine, a diver, is asked by the Honda manufactures to dive their factory in order to find machine parts that can be used in other plants, so production can keep flowing. The diving will be done in just one and a half meters of water but there will be no visibility in the mud dredged waters. I hope that he will be safe!

There's also a continues battle going on between the 'red' and the 'yellow' camp and even this human disaster still can't unify the country.

It seems to be turning into a battle of political powers and I would hope to see a united Thai country battling the floods but right now that seems rather an illusion.

Camille

7 comments:

Paula said...

Hello,

Hope you're well! I'm just getting in touch with yourself with regards to Koh Samui, as we (my family and myself) are due to be flying into the island on the 1st Dec.
It would be great and super appreciated if you could let us know what the weather is normally like at that time of the year and also if the Bangkok floods are due to affect the island...?

Many Thanks,
Paula (Scotland)

Camille said...

Hi Paula,

It will be difficult to predict the weather in December but usually the rainy season rules during that time of the year until around mid December.
Please have a look at my archives, half way down the page on my Samui info and weather blog, left hand side, they go back a few years. Open a month that you’re interested in and check one of the of the last posts of each month, starting with ‘Goodbye to…………’ this post will tell you the weather conditions for that month.
You can also check each individual post for that month if you wish to.

Samui should not be affected by the Bangkok floods as such but indirectly we may have some consumer goods delivery problems. However, come December I would expect that all to be back to normal again.

Hope this helps for now.

Ramaana said...

Hi Camille,

Hope you don't mind me emailing- I'm currently in Vietnam and I'd really like to come down to Koh Samui and Koh Tao tomorrow or the day after, but I'm not entirely clear about the weather! I obviously want to come down to relax for the last part of my trip, but it would be pretty bad if it rains! I stumbled upon your blog which has been very helpful- do you know what the weather looks like in the next 7-10 days?

Many thanks and kind regards,

Rumaana

Camille said...

Hi Rumaana,

Especially after the weekend the weather forecast is looking unusually good for this time of the year with plenty of sunshine and no rain predicted. let's hope it stays like that!

Kara said...

Hi Camille,
My Name is Kara and me and my boyfriend will be travelling to Koh Samui in Mid-December from Australia.

There is a lot of talk about the floods here and some people are talking about cancelling trips. I would really like it if you could tell me weather the current conditions would ruin our holiday. We are travelling to Krabi just before Samui and will be there in time for xmas.

Any Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Kara

Camille said...

Hi Kara,

Just noticed that I haven’t answered you yet. My apologies for that. Sometimes a message slips through the maze!

Mid December is usually fine on Koh Samui, the rainy season should have finished by then. You can expect a shower or two but short ones with potential sunshine straight afterwards.

Please have a look at my archives, half way down the page on my Samui info and weather blog, left hand side, they go back a few years. Open a month that you’re interested in and check one of the of the last posts of each month, starting with ‘Goodbye to…………’ this post will tell you the weather conditions for that month.
You can also check each individual post for that month if you wish to.

Hope this helps for now.

Kara said...

A great deal of help Camille, I appreciate your time and I will look into your archives.

Kind Regards,
Kara