Thursday 30 September 2010

Goodbye to September 2010

Goodbye to September 2010

This September was a nice month. There was plenty of sunshine but the days were also laced with just enough rain to make for some very agreeable days temperature wise and to raise the water ground levels to more acceptable levels since the non rainy season over November and December last year.

This years September was pretty much in sync with the the 2009 and 2008 versions.

For the first time I spent two weeks on Koh Phangan and I must say that i really enjoyed Koh Phangan, mainly because of the feel the island has, like how Samui was some 15 years ago.
The IDC I taught there together with Haad Yao Divers went also very well.

What else did I write about this month? Well, food as usual! What's new?

Two places on this blog are new, the Sripoca Restaurant in Bang Po is new on my list and well worth visiting and an absolute MUST visit is Caffe della Moca in Chaloklum on Koh Phangan, this is home made Italian food at it's absolute best!

For the first time ever I ran a quarter marathon or a distance of 10.55KM on Samui and the 5KM Ibis run is coming up this Saturday!

We also had an addition to the family in the form of TeeTee of Thuung Thong!

Last but not least, I visited this years Thaa Yai event/ceremony at our local Wat Plai Laem temple.

Not to forget my popular Food on Wheels series which I posted a few times about during this month with some interesting , well, food on wheels pictures. How about this traditional Thai ice cream in a bun?

Other Thai bloggers came up with some interesting posts and I can only urge you to visit them and have a look;

Martyn at Beyond the Mango Juice talks about Iris Bulbs and is seemingly getting in touch with his feminine side.

Mr Boonie has as always a series of interesting posts but his latest happens to be about a Thai saying and it involves chicken breasts and snakes feet and a it's a small miracle he didn't stumble over his own words when writing this post.

Andy's always fascinating blog about the Thai admin world has plenty of entries this month but one about new licence plates is slightly different!

My fellow weather blogger from Phuket, Jamie, is talking about a sunny September, check it out!

Tom Yam has a very interesting post about a Temple or Wat in the boonies around Lopburi where there's a 10 meter long tree trunk part that brings luck in predicting the lottery numbers! Go figure!

Paul talks about his own alcohol withdrawal experiences in Wat Thamkrabok, a famous temple where you are made to vomit each day during your withdrawal period which speeds up the detoxification process. Plenty of other interesting stuff to read on Paul's blog as well.

Mike of Thai Blogs talks amongst others about Thai marriage and it's customs and ceremonies.

Steve at Thailand Musings talks about Jai Yen or cool heart. a thing we Westerners in general can slice a piece off from. Not always easy!

Ben our own Thai Pirate visited Siam Park in Bangkok and got me absolutely convinced to go there as well with our kids to see it and check it out and have a day of sanuk!

Cat at Women learning Thai has some free give aways in the form of a soft ware dictionary. You gotta be fast, Sunday is cut off time!

That's it folks. Hope you enjoyed my posts this months and I'm looking forward seeing you again next month.

Camille

15 comments:

Andy said...

As you mention the colorful license plates - have you ever seen the one for Surat Thani (see my first posting about these plates) on a car yet? This year was the first time I ever saw any of these plates in real use, but only the Bangkok graphic. But I am only in Thailand short time each year, and most of the time in Bangkok, so I have no idea how often these plates are seen in the provinces.

Camille said...

Hi Andy,

Get to see some of them on a very irregular base!
Have seen the Surat one but not too often! Are they hard to come by?

Andy said...

One can only get them for a license code bought at the auction, so the normal car owner getting a random code is not eligible to have the colorful plate. Don't know if one have to pick the colorful one when buying at the auction however. In my last three weeks in BKK I saw seven, but none in the previous years.

Danyal said...

Hi Camille,
I am visiting on October 22nd for a week at the Banyan Tree and I was wondering if you could tell me about the weather then becasuse friends have told us that that is the worst time of year to go.
Is that true? If so can you tell how the weathr patterns are eg. rain at night, sunny all day.
Also may you advice me on how to get the most out of our trip.
Thanks,
Danyal

Camille said...

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the feedback, that's what I thought as well. My wife always says that these plates are really expensive to obtain!

Camille said...

Hi Danyal,

Please check out my archives for October, about halfway down my page. October can be good but it also can be the start of the rainy season. This is difficult to predict but it doesn't necessarily have to be bad weather.
To say anything about this years late October is too difficult to do unfortunately, if I could I would probably be a very rich person ;-)

The weather patterns can vary, pending on the arrival of the rainy season, you can have plenty of sunshine but also a lot of rain during the daytime. The closer you get to November the higher the likelihood of rain.

Last year there was no rain at all during our monsoon season, I wouldn't bet on a repeat of that though, I'm afraid.

Danyal said...

Ok then thanks a lot for the help.
Danyal. :-)

Paul Garrigan said...

Thanks for the mention Camille. I get up early in the mornings and it is nice to see your posts waiting for me in my Google Reader. I am following your running posts with interest. I would like to do something like that myself but the local dog population makes it difficult.

Camille said...

Hi Paul,

You're welcome, I enjoy reading your blog posts and it sure is nice if people have left comments for you! Shows you that somebody out there is looking at your dribbles ;-)

You mentioned the dogs already, that's too bad that they're so 'in the way' in your neck of the woods!

Paul Garrigan said...

Comments do make it all worthwhile. I also think that they can add a lot to a blog. I get a lot of personal emails from visitors to my website; this is due to the fact that I deal so much with addiction. I always feel grateful for these contacts but it is a pity that the messages are private; it means I'm saying similar things a lot of the time to different people. Not that I'm complaining :-)

Camille said...

Hi Paul,

Considering the topic, I can imagine that many people contact you by email! I like the way you talk about your experiences, I'm pretty sure it works therapeutically as well!

I get a lot of mails as well but it's always about how the weather is going to be next week!!! Same same but very different ;-)

Anonymous said...

Hey! It's been great to go through your entries and read more about Koh Samui. I'm traveling to the island next week (Oct 7-10) and its been helpful to read about a few things in/around Samui.

I've been told October is the rainy season at Samui. Does this mean that it would be impossible to get any time at the beach?

Could you please tell me how we should expect the weather to hold out? We'd hate to come expecting a lot of sunshine to then only be greeted by incessant rain!

Would also appreciate if you could tell us a little about the absolute must must do's to pack into those 3 days!

Hope you get the time to reply!

Thanks. Looking forward to more posts.

Camille said...

Hi,

Thanks for checking in and it's good to see that you enjoy my blog.

Currently the wind is about to change and usually that means in this time of the year that it's likely to rain!

The forecast look good for the 7th but has currently rain for the 8th.

It's a bit up and down, right now there's a mixed bag each day, rainy or drizzle during the mornings and sunshine in the afternoons, sometimes combined with some heavy clouds.

Mike said...

We are visiting Ko Samui on the 22nd Oct for the 3rd time . Found your blog very interesting . The weather updates were great keep up the good work

Mike D

Camille said...

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the heads up!

Hope you will have good weather and that you will enjoy your stay!