Monday 27 September 2010

Food on Wheels; One more time Thong Sala's pier on Koh Phangan

Food on Wheels; One more time Thong Sala's pier on Koh Phangan

My last update on this seemingly popular Food on Wheels series was from Thong Sala's pier on Koh Phangan, when my family came to visit me during my day off when I was teaching an IDC on Koh Phangan.

In the meantime I'm back on Samui again and I just started to teach a new IDC! However, on my way back to Samui, I saw two more interesting food vendors with wheels at the Thong Sala pier whilst waiting for the 'always late' Seatran ferry.

The one pictured above had all kinds of BBQ-ed chicken, including liver and heart, liver being an all time fave of me. The stick on the bbq is mine! Can you imagine someone carting around in your neighborhood with a BBQ attached to the side of his motorbike. Thought so!

This fella is selling 'Kao Niao Muu' or sticky rice with pork. He had three variations of pork on sale and it was delicious what both these vendors had for sale!

Have a look around at your neighborhood or during your visit to Thailand what is on offer from these street vendors on or with wheels, you'll be surprised!

Camille

6 comments:

Paul Garrigan said...

Hi Camille, here in Minburi the vendors don't have much in the way of vegetarian options. Some do have delecious fruit but not much else. I wonder if it is different on the islands? I would imagine that you get a few vegetarian visitors on Samui and Phangan.

Camille said...

Hi Paul,

A very good point! Especially Phangan and Tao gt a lot of veggies but they don't specifically cater with 'soy' food on wheel carts, at least not the last time I looked ;-)

It looks like the vegetarians will have to stick to the fruit sellers, which are plenty around and the pancake magicians!

Paul Garrigan said...

I would imagine that vendor selling vegetarian food, joss sticks, and magic crystals would make a fortune on Phangan :-)

Camille said...

Hi Paul,

Looks like you discovered a small niche market! ;-)

Haad Yao Divers said...

oh....there's lots of veggie food: Som Tam w. sticky rice, veggie springrolls, steamend veggie springrolls, Pad Thai Tofu and so on. Just look around!

Camille said...

Excellent stuff! More veggie food than I expected!