Tuesday 25 May 2010

Lebanon Station, Lebanese restaurant in Chaweng

Lebanon Station, Lebanese restaurant in Chaweng

UNFORTUNATELY, THE LEBANESE STATION HAS CLOSED

It's been a while since I have posted a restaurant review, so this one is for Bron, you know who you are!

Following the one way system in Chaweng, when you almost come to the end, about 100 meters before the T-crossing marking the end of the one way system, is on your left hand side the Lebanon Station.


I love Middle Eastern food, see my post about the absolutely fantastic Egyptian restaurant Nassir El Massri in Bangkok, one of my faves and a must stop when in Bangkok.



This is one of my all time fave dishes; Hummus, cooked and mashed chickpeas.


Falafel, deep fried chickpeas


The mixed grilled platter with chicken, beef and lamb


A special salad which usually is only prepared during Ramadan.

The reason I went there yesterday was that Imad, who staffed my recent IDC hails from Lebanon although he works and lives in Dubai, so when he discovered a Lebanese restaurant in Chaweng, he spend half of his time on Samui there! Since left today for Lebanon this was his goodbye night and had a very enjoyable meal here.

It's a very small place, almost a hole in the wall kinda place but if you're in to Middle eastern food, you will find what you want right here.

Camille

6 comments:

Bron said...

Hi Camille,

so glad you are still eating! I was getting worried. Great pics and review and it should be easy to find for me, thanks very much. I was actually just reading a few days ago the bankok review of the lebanon place you visit, maybe I should try that also. Really looking forward to our trip this year although we still dont know if we will stop in Bkk for a few days or just spend all our time in Samui. We never went to Bkk last year so have the urge to do so. We have found a new place to stay at there and cannot find a bad word about it so lets hope we can visit without any problems. I am stil trying to find out accurate info about travelling from Bkk airport via taxi under curfew and cannot seem to determine if it will be easy enough to get a taxi at the airport or not. Any suggestions???
Thanks again and I will ensure I try any "hole in the wall places you reccomend" Bron

Camille said...

Hi Bron,

It'll be hard to see me not eating, I just have been going back to the same places all the time!

The Bangkok restaurant is actually an Egyptian restaurant and I can't recommend the place enough! Just play it by ear, if Bangkok remains quiet over the next couple days/weeks, it's probably safe to visit.

Apparently it's fine to travel under curfew in a taxi, coming from the airport, as long as you can show ticket and passport. This implicates that taxis will be available. Also, keep in mind, you're in Thailand, if there's a chance to make money, somebody will be doing it!

Take care and hope to see you here soon.

xoxo said...

hello there!

i am heading to koh samui in three weeks time and is currently researching halal food available there. glad i found your site.

do you know if this lebanon station still exists on chaweng? also, what are its opening hours like.

your help is greatly appreciated!

Camille said...

Hi xoxo,

I'm not 100% sure if the Lebanese station is still open. Last time I was in Chaweng, it looked like it was closed down.
There are however, a fair amount of small road side stills run by Thai Muslim people on the island that offer halal food.
Maybe a little bit harder to find but they sure are out there.

DSM said...

Camille,

Thank you for this great blog. I know it might be a while since you wrote this report. I will be in Koh Samui in November 2012 celebrating my anniversary. Althought I will be in Bophut, but surely i will travel to chaweng looking for HALAL food (Especially middle eastern).

My question: Are there any restaurants there serving SHISHA (Hookah)?


Don't tell me No, please!! :(

Because I am very fond of it.

Hope to hear from you. Thanks.

Regards,

DSM

Camille said...

Hi DSM,

Unfortunately Lebanon Station has closed down.
Shisha's are plentiful available around Chaweng, should be no problem at all.
Try the Ark Bar of you like a relaxed, laid back, evening beach experience with good music.