Tuesday 5 January 2010

Ranong Restaurant, Chaweng

Ranong Restaurant, Chaweng

Today's the third day running for a restaurant review and we're in Chaweng at the Ranong Thai food and sea food restaurant.

The restaurant is very popular with local, mainly younger Thai people, Westerners and nightlife residents of all sorts alike. It's also very convenient since it stays open until at least 3am. It's located on the road leading up to the ring road, just before the one way system starts in Chaweng, hang a right and than it's almost opposite the first 7-11 that you see at your left hand.

Despite being that busy, in all times that I visited the restaurant I never had a dish that blew me away or stood out and I tried a few of my fave Thai dishes.

The open kitchen is a nice touch but the food tastes rather bland to me, unfortunately. The prices are very reasonable however and that together with it's location near Chaweng's nightlife make it a popular stop.

It's your typical plastic tables and chair kind a place and it makes a great place for observing the mixed bag of people that come to eat here.

One of the dishes that we had yesterday was this Pla Meuk Pad Khai Khem.
It's a cheap and easy place if you need a quick bite with very reasonable, cheap prices and it's open late, in case you're still hungry around 3am.
Camille




8 comments:

Brownwyn said...

Wow you are really going strong on the restaurant reviews. We are back again this year and love to read and try your reviews.

Camille Lemmens said...

Hi,

Yes, as it happened to be, I had the opportunity to visit a few new places and that always gives me new material to blog about!

Bronwyn said...

Hi Camille

I know this sounds strange but we have a friend coming with us this year and when he visited with us 2 years ago he missed his feeds of potatoes.
Where do you know of that you can get good potatoes? Just to keep him happy a few times a week. His partner misses good cheese also.
I just miss good Thai food when I get back to NZ and love it all when I am over there.
Bronwyn

Camille Lemmens said...

Hi Bronwyn,

There ae plenty of places that have potato dishes, especially Swiss and Swedish restaurants.

Funnily enough, the aveli restaurant in Bang Rak has a great Aloo Matar dish, an Indian pototo dish.

Cheese is widely available.

Anja said...

Hi Camille,

thanks for your great blog. We are just wondering if you mean the Chaveng back road or Laemdin market and boxing stadium road ?

Anja from Finland

Camille Lemmens said...

Hi Anja,

The Chaweng back road, where the one way system starts.

Anja said...

Hi Camille,

And thanks. Yes, I referred to Rayong restaurant. We just were pondering as the one way system starts/continues also from the middle of Chaweng (former Big Blue Diving Corner) near to Swiss bar. Now we know the place and we have even visited there sometimes. With we I mean me, my husband and our daughter.

Thanks again, we are heavy users of your interesting weather blog.

Br, Anja

Camille Lemmens said...

Hi Anja,

At the Laemdin corner, that's where the one way systems ends.

Thank for visiting the blog!